Urad dal, also known as Split Black Gram, is one of the famous lentils used in southern part of Asia, especially in Indian cuisine. Rich in protein, fat and carbohydrates, urad dal is brimming with many health benefits.
Moreover, urad dal is one of the richest sources of proteins and vitamin B, and is also beneficial for women, and you why you ask? This simple lentil is full of iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium, which makes this dal a perfect health package for pregnant women.
Other than its health benefits, urad dal is also known to please everyone’s taste palettes. Urad dal is easy to prepare and can be eaten as a side dish also. It is also extensively used in various culinary preparations such as dosa, papad and vada.
- Improves Digestion – Urad dal is rich in fibre, both soluble and insoluble, which is known improve our digestion. Dietary fibre in urad dal help bulk up the stool and stimulate peristaltic motion. If you are suffering from diarrhoea, constipation, cramps, or bloating, include urad dal in your diet to get rid of all these troubles. Moreover, urad dal is effective in healing piles, colic disorder and is known to be a good liver stimulant.
- Protects Heart – Urad dal is contains high quantities of fibre, magnesium and potassium, which are extremely beneficial for our heart health. It keeps our cardiovascular system healthy by maintaining the cholesterol levels and prevent atherosclerosis. The potassium is known to reduce improve the blood circulation process of your body and helps in preventing any damage to the walls of your arterial walls.
- Boosts Energy – Urad dal is high in iron content, which helps increasing the overall energy levels in your body and keeps you active. Iron helps in stimulating production of red blood cells, which is responsible for carrying oxygen to all your body organs. It is essential for pregnant women who have a higher chance of iron deficiency. Consuming urad dal regularly increases your energy significantly as it replenishes the body’s iron stores.
- Improves Bone Health – Urad dal contains important minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium, which play an important role in improving your bone mineral density. Consuming urad dal regularly will help you prevent bone related problems and maintain your bone health.
- Strengthens Nervous System – Urad dal strengthens our nervous system and makes our brain function healthy. It is used in various ayurvedic medicines to cure nervous debility, partial paralysis, facial paralysis and other disorders.